Prep time 40 mins
Cook time 25 mins
Total time 1 hour 5 mins
Recipe type: Desserts
Serves: two 8″ diameter cakes
¾ cup butter, unsalted
1 cup granulated sugar
2½ cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powde
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup milk
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
½ teaspoon almond essence
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
4 teaspoon red liquid food colouring
4 teaspoon green liquid food colouring
1. Cream the butter and the sugar until very light and fluffy. Beat the eggs and add to the creamed butter. Mix well.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt twice. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and orange rind. Add the creamed mixture alternating with the milk in thirds. Fold in the vanilla and almond essence. Separate the mixture into thirds.
3. Keep ⅓ of the mixture plain. In another ⅓ of the mixture add green colouring…and mix well. Add to desired colour brightness. With the other ⅓ of the mixture add red colouring.
4. Keep ⅓ of the mixture plain. In another ⅓ of the mixture add green colouring…and mix well. Add to desired colour brightness. With the other ⅓ of the mixture add red colouring.
5. Pour each of the mixture, side by side in baking pans (3, 9″ round cake pans which have been buttered and floured). Use a spatula to blend the colours, but do not mix too much. Move the spatula in a circular motion throughout.
6. Bake in a preheated oven 180 degrees for 20 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes then transfer to cooling rack.