- Nafisa’s Pancakesby Ben Rendle
The perfect recipe for some flipping good pancakes
200g plain flour
4 large eggs
200g caster sugar
1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil
Step 1 – Put 200g plain flour, 4 large eggs, 200g caster sugar, 600ml milk, 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil and a pinch of salt into a bowl or large jug, then whisk to a smooth batter.
Step 2 – Set aside for 30 mins to rest if you have time, or start cooking straight away.
Step 3 – Set a medium frying pan or crêpe pan over a medium heat and carefully wipe it with some oiled kitchen paper.
Step 4 – When hot, cook your pancakes for 1 min on each side until golden, keeping them warm in a low oven as you go.
Step 5 – Serve with lemon wedges and caster sugar, or your favourite filling.
If you try this at home, get in touch and let us know!
- Ben’s Cheesy Chicken Pastaby Ben Rendle
If you love cheese, chicken and pasta this is definitely the dish for you.
4 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
¼ tsp chilli flakes
2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
1 tsp caster sugar (optional)
6 tbsp mascarpone
4 skinless chicken breasts, sliced into strips or 600g of diced chicken breast
300g penne pasta
70g mature cheddar, grated
50g grated mozzarella
Add more cheese if you like it cheesy
Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the onion gently for 10-12 mins. Add the garlic and chilli flakes and cook for 1 min. Tip in the tomatoes and sugar and season to taste. Simmer uncovered for 20 mins or until thickened, then stir through the mascarpone.
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non-stick frying pan. Season the chicken and fry for 5-7 mins or until the chicken is cooked through.
Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Cook the penne following pack instructions. Drain and toss with the remaining oil. Tip the pasta into a medium sized ovenproof dish. Stir in the chicken and pour over the sauce. Top with the cheddar and mozzarella. Bake for 20 mins or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Simple Cheese Omeletteby Ben Rendle
A good omelette is a cracking thing if you can get it right. Here’s my recipe for a nice simple cheese omelette. I made it with an omelette maker but you can just as easily adapt this for a normal frying pan.
4 Large eggs
Grated cheese (amount is to taste but approximately 50g should do).
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 tbsp of butter
Salt and black pepper
- Crack the eggs in to a medium size bowl
- If not already done, grate the cheese and add it to the eggs
- Add a couple of splashes of milk and the butter to the eggs
- Add a small amount of salt and pepper to tast.
- Beat and whisk the eggs well until all the ingredients are combined
- Add the oil to the omelette maker or pan, turn on and allow to heat for about 2 minutes
- When the oil is heated and the egg mixture to the omelette maker or pan. (if your omelette maker has two sides, ensure both are filled up evenly). Then leave to cook for 7 minutes.
- If you are cooking with a pan, you will need to regularly check round the edges with a spatula and flip the omelette over after 3 and a half minutes.
- Remove the omelette using a spatula, serve and enjoy!
If you are using a pan and struggle with turning the omelette over. You could trying putting it under the grill instead of flipping it.
You could also try adding some extra cheese on top
If you try this at home, please let us know!
If you missed the episode where i cooked up this lovely dish, check it out below