Prep time 40 mins
Cook time 40 mins
Total time 1 hour 20 mins
Recipe type: Seafood
Serves: 4 – 5
½ – ¾ lb. Salt fish (or 1 cup dried saltfish, boneless, skinless)
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small onion, chopped finely
¾ lb. tomatoes, chopped
½ tsp. chive, chopped
½ tsp. thyme, chopped (Spanish or fine leaf)
2 tbsp. olive oil or coconut oil (to fry the saltfish)
1 small hot pepper, finely chopped (optional)
3½ cups flour
½ cup wheat flour
4-5 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1½ cups water
1 tbsp. sugar, (brown sugar)
Oil for frying (bake)
1. For Saltfish,
2. Boil the salt fish for about 10 minutes to remove some of the salt.
3. Remove skin and bones; wash and squeeze the saltfish and break into small pieces.
4. Cook the onions, garlic, tomatoes, chive and thyme in oil until slightly brown.
5. Add the flaked salt fish and hot pepper and cook for 10 minutes.
6. For Bake,
7. Add the water all at once, if dough is still dry when mixed, add enough water to make smooth dough. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rest for ½ hour.
8. Divide dough into small balls (makes about 12 balls). Roll ball of dough out on a floured board to ¼ inch thick in a round shape.
9. Fry in hot oil (do not deep fry), turn once and drain on kitchen paper. Serve cool.